"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Saturday, March 26, 2011

WHIPPING UP CUPCAKES


I whipped up a batch of 3 dozen cupcakes with chocolate frosting and sprinkles the other day. They are fusible applique and are for a birthday swap on the ScratchingPost group. On your birthday you received cupcakes from 49 others. I think they'll make a nice b'day table runner, place mats, etc. I might even put some on the cuff of a birthday pillowcase. But, my b'day isn't until July, so there's plenty of time to decide.

My sewing machine is at the spa, so I thought it was a good time to get these all done for the rest of the year.

They are made like other fusible applique.

You trace, press the fusible on, and cut, just like always.

Once you have the two halves, we don't fuse them to a background. We are just making an applique that the receiver will fuse down. So, flip back the part of the paper to fuse the two pieces together.

Fuse the overlap together. Then flip the backing paper down. To save your pressing surface from the goo, use a fusible applique mat, or I like to use parchment paper (available by the foil, etc., at the grocery store, intended for baking) as a disposable fusible applique pressing mat.


And it's all ready to send to the birthday girl.

So far, I don't think anyone has received any two alike! Yum!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

So adorable! And I like that you are just sending the cake and not the background. That lets the recipient choose. Are you using a pattern or did you make it up (I am terrible at drawing)?

Keep Stitchin' said...

Love it! How fun it will be to have a variety of backgrounds!