"STITCHING MENDS MY SOUL"

Friday, September 18, 2009

PRESSING DURING QUILT BLOCK CONSTRUCTION

A while back, on one of my groups, we were discussing things that influence how your quilt block turns out. How you press the block is really important to a successful block. I tried to describe in words how I do it, but I realized pictures would really help. So, I decided to put this tutorial on my blog. I surely don't claim to be an expert, but this is the way I have found to work best for me.

First, lay your fabric, just it comes from the sewing machine (with the right sides of the fabric together) on your ironing surface. Be sure that the fabric you want the seam to go toward is on top. Usually that is the darker fabric (but not always).

Press to set seam.

Flip the top fabric back to open seam.

Press the seam open. The seam allowance on the back will automatically be going toward the dark fabric.

Seam all pressed.

Back view.

I hope someone may find this helpful.

1 comment:

Quilter Raised in the South said...

thanks so much for the pictures--it really does help to have a visual aid!